This past couple of weeks has been a blur with adjusting back to life in Texas, keeping up with pictures and videos of my adorable niece, helping plan and prepare for friends' baby showers, volunteering, numerous church activities, city activities, etc. Lots of stuff going on! I'm so thankful for the involvement of all those things, and I think I'm officially more involved in activities, fellowship and volunteering than I ever was in Des Moines. So, guess that's a good thing!
Two weeks ago Paul and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary. Since we were in Des Moines at that time, we postponed celebrating until this last week and had a nice dinner at home. Got some lover-ly flowers from Paul and we enjoyed grilled shrimp and filet mignon. Mmmm! We watched a lame movie (The Mistress of Spices - not even worth looking up!) and finished off a bottle of Summerset Winery Caba Moch. Perfect!
I had a good 30 minute chunk of time today just to pray and re-connect with God. It was so refreshing to catch up on things, ya know? I've been trying lately to change my servant attitude to be one of humility and love...not to serve out of "Christian" duty. It seriously is hard for me to not serve just because it's the right thing to do. I would rather serve the way Jesus served others in the bible - out of complete love. Trust me, as an inherently imperfect human, it is tough!
Anyway, I really believe God opened my eyes today to have more compassion towards my clients. I finally realized that Alan (who has Parkinsons) has deteriorated more than I realized in a mere six months. How did I not notice before? He has so much trouble now lifting his head, carrying on a conversation and even walking. Unfortunately, though he's only in his 60s , his next step is for he and his wife to move to an assisted living facility. Poor guy. He is so cheery, but spends most of his days at home, probably with little contact other than his wife and son.
In talking with Alan, I was trying to be positive and discuss the advantages of living in a care facility...lots of new friends to meet and make, lots of fun activities, less house to clean, your meals prepared for you. I even mentioned the possibility of me coming to visit on occasion to which he replied "that would be great!"
After my visit with him today, I'm reminded of how we take our abilities and health for granted. How would you cope if diagnosed with a debilitating disease that wasted away your muscle and brain functions? Not only do I want to try and live a more full and thankful life in consideration of this, but I want to try harder to show more love and understanding to people like this.
you hit the nail on the head. i remember feeling the same way toward fountain west residents as you feel toward alan. some of the residents were in their mid 50's and it absolutely made my heart ache to think of how their years of truly living were being cut short...according to MY timeline and how i think things should be. i'm thankful alan has you in his life. if he moves to that facility- definitely visit him. it will mean the world to him that he was and is that important to you. :)
ReplyDelete