Sunday, January 3

Diets



We got home last night from our two week stretch in cold, barren Iowa. It feels good to be back in our own space, ready to tackle a new year. Since we've been back, motivation levels are at an all time low, but I guess that's what happens when you spend 11 + hours on the road. It drains you.

I admit, we slept until 11 today. I confess, the suitcase is in the middle of the kitchen floor, still brimming with dirty clothes and all our necessities. And, I confess that I haven't unloaded the dishwasher that has waited 2 weeks now to be unloaded. In all fairness, this is Sunday so I'm enjoying my day of rest. Never mind the fact that we usually end up doing some sort of work on Sundays involving home projects.

After all the celebrating and eating out, snacking and grazing that occurred over the two weeks in Iowa, Paul has declared the next month a diet month. He tried his best to persuade me to join in on a vegetable/fruit only diet, to which I quickly added "I'm not the one that needs to lose weight." Are you kidding me? Give up hamburgers and chili with meat and steaks for a month? You've gotta be crazy.

I confess I've tried to control Paul's eating habits to adopting a well rounded approach - get plenty of exercise, eat in moderation, eat nutritional meals and snacks, and the weight problem will be a thing of the past. The problem is, he doesn't have self control and therefore gorges on snacks and meals...and mannnn, does he have a sweet tooth! I've tried my best to steer him in the right direction, but if you don't have the motivation and self control to commit, then why try? So, he's dieting his way, the "all or nothing way" of strictly fruits and veggies. Oh yeah, and oatmeal for breakfast.

So, I'll do my best to keep my opinions to myself and turn off the part of me that oh, so badly wants to control his dieting approach. Who knows, if he can pull it off, maybe it will help kick start his weight loss. The question is, what happens once the diet is over and he starts eating real meals again?

2 comments:

  1. Glad you guys made it back safely! Let me know if Paul's diet works...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amber! I have my doubts about the diet, but I'm crossing my fingers :)

    ReplyDelete