Its been over a week and a half since I last wrote, so I will keep you all in suspense no longer...the last 10 days have been a whirlwind, since my parents came to visit for 5 days and I've actually had things to go to. (Yes! Can you believe it??)
My parents came last Thursday and helped us rip up and perfect our front flower garden. Before they came, it was a mess of grass and ornamental grass that knew no boundaries. Over three days we ripped up rocks, junk (yeah, we found some old earplugs, a stake for tying dogs up, dinosaurs toys, a gum container to name a few), grass and lots of dirt. We moved trees and got rid of trees, moved bushes and transplanted some flowers and grasses my parents brought down from their garden. So far, everything looks great! There is still a lot of empty space that needs to be planted up, but its a start. And....the most exciting part (well, one of them) is that we got a palm tree. Woohoo! Yeah, and it even produces fruit. So, were pretty excited! I'll post pictures next time of our new tree and progress on the flower garden.
Also this week I took a bold step (bold for someone as shy as I am) and went to a young women'\s gathering at our new church. Didn't know a soul going into it and wasn't sure what to expect, so I plopped down on a chair next to someone and just blurted out the truth - "I don't know a single person here and I dont want to sit by myself. Can I join you?!!" Lol. Yep, why hide it?? So, this girl was really nice and we chatted it up and ended up swapping phone numbers. So, it all went ok and I met a few other girls. Nice to know I'll recognize at least a few faces next time.
Also, I started volunteering on Thursdays for Meals on Wheels. I will deliver anywhere from 8-10 meals to mostly seniors. I go to the MOW building in the morning, then pick up the meals and haul them in my car to each person's house or apartment. I was surprised to see some other younger people volunteering for this too, so that was cool. All the seniors I met were really nice and treated me like their new best friend. One woman even called me her new best friend. Really. I think these people are lonely!
So, it was a great week. I'm slowly getting more involved and it feels great. I'm tired of being cooped up in the house and I'm ready to get involved in more things. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that our kitchen got invaded by Fire Ants. Oh my. They are nasty little things - they bite ferociously and they will not die!! I had to wipe up all the live ones and decided they should die a painful death by bleach water. So, I dumped them all in bleach water to kill them...which didn't work. Even after 20 mins , even though most were fully submerged in water...yes, they were still moving around. Then I dumped more bleach in the sink and they didn't last long, hehehe. Anyway, we got that problem taken care of and hopefully they will not return.
Jayme hooked me up with your blog, and I've been loving reading up on your adventures! I, too, hate fire ants!!! I knew nothing of them until I moved to Texas. Yuck. Glad you guys are doing well!
ReplyDelete