Sunday, November 15

Around the world and back again

"Frosty Attacks, " Taken in Iowa, 2008



We just got back from our first visit to Iowa, since leaving in June. I was surprised to find that nothing has changed, other than a few restaurants closing and other minor things. Yeah, I know, its only been about four months, so what was I expecting? I guess it just feels like FOREVER that we've been gone. We're just transplant rookies at this point.

We spent the first few days in Dubuque with Paul's family, after enduring a fourteen hour trek north. It was a long drive,but we were running on the fumes of excitement at seeing our family. Ok, I was. Paul complained the whole way at the descending temps and tried to convince me that there was still time to turn the car around. "Shush! Enough! We're going whether you're weeny butt can take it or not!"

We then moved on to Des Moines and enjoyed some decent weather and good times with friends and family. My sister and I went shopping and I finally got to visit her classroom she teaches in. Her class was great and thought my last name was pretty cool. :) I got to catch up with some friends from work (they practically had to kick me out). I went out to lunch with Maranda and Margaret and then didnt leave the office until after 4pm. Wow, I miss you girls!! Thank God Jim wasnt there to monitor the distractions!!!

We headed out Saturday to stop in Wichita on the way home. Paul's bro , Joey lives there and his girlfriend was having a birthday party at her house. So, we hung out there for the night and left this morning. Now...we are finally home. Ahh...it does feel nice to be settled again. I admit though, I was depressed to come home to an empty house - a hard thing to do after being surrounded by so many people the past week. And, the worst part...our house is new enough to us, that when I walked in, I thought "what the heck, it smells so uninviting and stale. It doesnt even smell like home..." I know, I am weird like that. I hope over time my house will start to keep some of that smell that reminds me of a home.

No comments:

Post a Comment