Monday, May 31

The Flip Side

So I've been trying to think more positively about our issue with not being able to start a family yet. Thankfully, some friends have really helped with good advice and sharing their own stories of struggle in this area. It helps to know there are friends out there praying for me over this, cause it's been a frustrating issue.

Anyway, I made myself write a list of reasons why I'm thankful we don't have kids yet. I actually came up with quite a few and I'll probably laugh at myself 10 years from now when we have kids and I'm longing for the more peaceful and quiet days of today!

Ever heard the saying "it takes a village to raise a child?". I sure have. I never understood it until now, with being around so many friends that have young ones. I had no IDEA how much work it is to have young ones around! (In my defense, I'm the youngest in our family, so none of my siblings have kids. No kids in Paul's family either) So, laughingly, I tell myself that since were in a new state, I need time to build my "village" to help raise my children. The more time that passes between now and starting a family, the stronger my friendships become and the more people I'll meet down here. They will hopefully be my village to help me raise our children...especially important since we have no family here.

I also read a story in 1 Samuel about Hannah who struggled with not being able to conceive in her timing. Her husband asked her if he was not more than many sons to her. It made me think how important it is to cherish Paul and our time together. If anything, we can enjoy this extended time together "alone" with no stress of kids yet. We are strengthening our marriage more every day which will hopefully help us get through the trying years ahead with raising a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment